Today’s Urban Commute is the Secret Weapon of Tomorrow’s Regional Vitality


Many of my friends, family members, and colleagues throughout the country have pleasant drives to
work.  They do not normally encounter congestion, inclement weather, or bad drivers, which gives them an oasis of luxury between work and home to enjoy tunes, talk radio, or coffee.  They envision my urban commute as dark and dystopic, which it admittedly sometimes can be: crowds of pushy commuters coughing and shouting, underground most of the time, and prone to delays and uncertainties that can throw off a carefully calibrated daily schedule.

And yet, for me as an individual and for the region I am part of, give me the urban commute every day of the week.  Because I truly believe that how I and almost all of my co-workers get to and from work is the secret sauce to our individual happiness and to why I am so bullish about Philadelphia’s future.  Here’s why.

First, why commute at all?  Most of what many of us do for our jobs can be done from anywhere, so why not decouple ourselves a central work location, and shed commute time and gain personal autonomy in the process?  Ah, but there is a difference between what we do for our jobs and what we accomplish in our jobs, the former being very self-centered and the latter requiring much more human contact.  Even things you’d think can be done in isolation, it turns out are done way more effectively when we are rubbing elbows with others.  So, sorry, we have to tolerate our commutes.

Ah, but sometimes our commutes themselves are part of the work.  Perhaps this is truer for me than for others, since I work on urban issues in my actual job.  But you don’t have to have my job to benefit from keeping your eyes open as you board a subway, walk through a train station concourse, or stroll through a historic neighborhood, three things I do every time I commute to and from work.  All of these things connect me to people, places, and experiences that help me, however directly or indirectly, with things I’m working on.  And, I suspect that no matter what you do in y our day job, these kinds of experiences will enrich the work part of you as well.

And this is why, regardless of your personal preferences, an urban commute holds the key to personal satisfaction and region-wide competitiveness.  When you are in the suburbs, you are largely in a car, which means that you certainly hope not to literally bump into anyone.  Maybe you can take in the scenery, but maybe you need to keep two hands on the wheel and two eyes on the road.  It can be a pleasant ride, but it is one in which you are not interacting with humans or with places.

An urban commute is nothing except for interaction with humans and places.  And, in urban settings, those humans and places tend to be really diverse.  Lots of different people from different walks of life, different industries, even different reasons for being on the go (work vs. school vs. tourism).  Lots of different places and spaces, which you can more easily take in via transit/bike/foot than if you were driving. 

Given what we know about how innovation happens, one of these experiences is vastly better than the other in creating a climate where creativity can flourish and regions can advance.  And it ain’t the one that relies on having to get into a car in order to get anywhere.  Which is why I’m more bullish on places like Philadelphia, and especially singling out how we get to and from work as a secret weapon for how we as a region can be more connected and ultimately more productive.

PS By the way, let’s not limit this to the trip at the beginning and end of the day.  My office is in the heart of Center City Philadelphia, which itself is the heart of the Greater Philadelphia region.  Not to brag, but I don’t think that folks who have to rely on a car to get around a sprawling region simply can’t match the intensity of interactions, both planned and unplanned, that I can fit into the same number of hours as everyone else has.  Think about the implications of this.  I can be more civically involved, schedule more meetings, and check in with more people, than if any one of those things involved me having to go get my car, drive halfway across town, park my car, and go find people/places.  This little nudge can make a huge difference in the quantity and quality of my social network, which multiplied by millions of people can make the difference between a vibrant region and a stagnant one. 

Comments

Popular Posts